In case you thought you’re too old to do OLY, keep reading…
My entire life I’ve always had a love for sports. Both as a spectator and especially an active participant. I’ve played tennis, softball, volleyball, various martial arts, boxing, and most recently Krav Maga. However, as I got older, mobility was not what it was and my main focus became more injury prevention (versus always wanting to lift heavy things all the time!). I originally started olympic weightlifting in the 90’s while in college, but I really didn’t take until I started Crossfit and found Olympic weightlifting was more beneficial than just basic strength training…not only is it the main type of training the National Strength and Conditioining Association recommends for every sport, but there are several essential benefits for the older athletes:
- Muscle muscle recruitment = Increased strength and power: Oly movements such as the clean and jerk and snatches requires the use of multiple muslces groups and can help the older athlete increase their overall strength and power. the increased strength and power can help with activities such as lifting and carrying heavy objects, climbing stairs, and getting up from a seated position.
- Improved mobility and flexibility: Oly movements require a high degree of mobility, flexibility,especially in the hipts, ankles, and shoulders. Regular practic eof these mvoements cna help improve these areas, resulting in better mobility and flexibility in daily life and sports. Improved mobility and flexibility can help with activities such as bending, reaching, and twisting, while enhanced balance and coordination can improve performance in sports that require agility and quick movements
- Enhance balance and coordination: Oly requires a high degree of balance and coordination, which can help older athletes improve these skills and reduce their risk of falls and injuries. the improved strength, power, mobility, flexibility, balance, and coordination can all contribute to better performance in a variety of activities.
- Increase bone density: The compound movements help improve bone density, especially beneficial for those which may have a higher risk of osteoporosis.
- Improve metabolic health: Oly is a high intensity exercise that can help improve metabolic health by increasing insulin sensitivity, improving glucose tolerance and reducing inflammation.
- Better body composition: Oly can help build lean muscle mass, reduce body fat, and lead to improved body composition and overall health.
So, remember,the key is not necessarily how much weight you are capable to lifting, but rather whether you are able to successfully lift the weight. This 5 week progressive oly series will make sure you are lifting correctly and safely…